Re: [AD] [DOS] Sidewinder driver replacement

> As you suggested in the later e-mail, Tomohiko Sugiura's driver
> works better under different systems (Dos/Win).

Quite right.

> What I did in my own program was to disable using the 'agressive'
> Sidewinder driver when autodetecting joystick, but forcing to it
> when user deliberately choosed Sidewinder as his device of choice.

I have a Sidewinder and the 'aggressive' driver is needed to make it work in
a DOS box under Windows: the normal driver simply doesn't detect the joypad.
However, it's not the aggressiveness of the 'aggressive' driver that
actually matters, but it's ability to scan various ports (8 vs 1 for the
normal driver). Therefore I plan to write an unified driver.

> I don't have a Sidewinder here to test, so I don't know how safe
> it is reducing the amount of detection trys from 16 to 1. I believe
> we'll get feedback if ever this lead to a problem.

It works for me, but the problems might probably arise with non-SW
joysticks.

> SIDEWIND.S is now unused in the distribution, by the way.

Yes, I noted your previous message a couple of weeks ago. The file isn't
part of the 3.9.40 WIP release.

--
Eric Botcazou
ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx