Re: [AD] CPU Detection.

Jose Antonio Luque wrote:

[snip]

What are the differences? in all documents that i found in the net, they are
'equivalents'

SSE contians instructions for doing SIMD on floating point numbers. MMX+ is simply an extention of MMX to add useful stuff for integer arithmetic. Athlons pre-XP have MMX+ but not SSE.

[snip]

Durons don't have the same family-model-stepping that TB.

Ok. Then how come your duron gets a higher score with MMX+ while Javier's gets a significantly lower one? Unless I can differentiate the two, then there's no point in adding the extra layer of cpu detection.

[snip]

 Bit0: FPU

Right. I forgot about that one :)

and we can add other variables. char *cpu_name

This would be good. It'll fix the Pentium 4 problem.

dword cpu_l1cache    (hiword(code cache) and loword(data cache))
dword cpu_l2cache    (loword(unified cache))

Useless IMO. If we have the stepping and CPU name, it's enough to know the cache sizes. Plus, the cache sizes aren'te very useful information.

--
- Robert J Ohannessian
"Microsoft code is probably O(n^20)" (my CS prof)