Re: [AD] another FAQ?

On 25 Sep 2001, Sven Sandberg <svsa1977@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At least, unless I misunderstood something. Do you mean that the problem
> seems to be that `volatile' doesn't work for arrays? Have you tested the
> minimal example:
[snip]

It produces this:

.globl foo
        .type    foo,@function
foo:
        pushl   %ebp
        movl    x+8, %eax
        movl    %esp, %ebp
        .p2align 4,,7
.L5:
        testl   %eax, %eax
        jne     .L5
        popl    %ebp
        ret

which looks wrong to me (but I don't know asm).

> > $ gcc -v
> > Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux/2.96/specs
> > gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Linux-Mandrake 8.0 2.96-0.48mdk)
>
> Hmm, isn't this that infamous beta version that they shipped by accident
> with some linux distro? Maybe it's only a problem with this version?

I think people have come to accept it as legitimate, except for the
versioning issue.  It's _supposed_ to be 2.95.x with a couple of bug
fixes applied.

> Of
> course that wouldn't make it inappropriate for a faq, but if it is true
> maybe we could also mention that upgrading gcc is an option (though
> yielding timeslices is also a Good Thing IMO).

Ok.