Re: [AD] mode selector committed.

Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> - you put GFX_AUTODETECT after the two other autodetected drivers: why ? I
> think it should stay the first one listed,

Ok, I will change the order.

> - selecting GFX_AUTODETECT_FULLSCREEN causes a default mode list to be
> displayed: why not use the combination of the mode lists for all
fullscreen
> drivers ?

I don't think it's important enough to add code for that. It would also slow
down things even more. If you can show me a small and fast prototype then I
wouldn't mind...

> - on my machine (K6-III 400 Mhz, Matrox Millenium G200), the selector
takes
> now 5 seconds to setup. Not very nice.

I agree, not everybody has a nice little 1GHz. :) If there is something the
modeselector would need, it's a considerable speed-up. I cached all
mode-list data in order to keep up the runtime performance. what takes time
is the huge list conversion job (GFX_MODE_LIST[] -> MODE_LIST[]) and the
actual get_gfx_mode_list() call. I suspect I can achieve a nice speed-up if
i could eliminate the list conversion. In order to do that I would have to
change all the whole mode-list fetching code... something I'm willing to do,
but I'd like to run some profiling first.

Sincerely Henrik Stokseth.
E-mail: hstokset@xxxxxxxxxx  Homepage: http://hstokset.n3.net