Re: [AD] Proposal for a set_icon function

George Foot <gfoot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't know whether people actually care very much what their
> icon is when they're running though -- it doesn't appear in many
> places.  In the old days it used to appear on the desktop, but
> not any more; the only place I know where you get a full-sized
> icon is in the Alt-Tab task switching box, and you get
> half-sized icons on the bar thing at the bottom of the screen
> and possibly as your control menu icon?  I don't remember.
>
> What most people want regarding icons is probably to be able to
> attach them to the executable.  Maybe there's more demand for a
> utility program which converts an Allegro bitmap into an
> OS-specific icon (scaling it and converting colour depth if
> required) so you can attach it.

I have to agree with George here! Setting application icon run-time is the
kinda things we don't need in order to keep Allegro free from useless
features. This question has come up before, and the answer is still the
same: NO! However... having icons attached to the executable is a nice thing
and can be easily done with a windows resource script. To aid Allegro users
which doesn't know how to do that, it would be nice to expand the
screensaver resource script to add an icon. That's something i wouldn't
think twice about putting in the CVS!

-henrik