Re: [AD] more modularity (was Re: multithreaded callbacks)

On 01 Aug 2001, George Foot <gfoot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you want Allegro's keyboard, mouse, or joystick input
> in Linux, you have to grab the console too.  Same goes for
> timers.  If you don't want to grab the console, you have to use
> SYSTEM_NONE which can really only do maths, and graphics to
> memory bitmaps.
>
> This is going off the topic of the thread (and I don't want to
> distract from the threading issues, I think we should implement
> the mutexing API as soon as possible), but do people think these
> things need addressing?

Yes, but I'm not sure how far we can take it.  The Windows port can
attach Allegro to a HWND, so we could add functions to attach Linux
Allegro to some fd.  That should fix up quite a few things by
itself.  If necessary, maybe also add another system driver for
Unix/Linux, which does more than SYSTEM_NONE, but less than the
current drivers (i.e. doesn't grab a console).

--
GAPIANA.  The little strip of land between the "You are now leaving" and
"You are now entering" signs when you cross from one state into another.