RE: [AD] dos close button support.

[Sorry for the extra copy Peter. Forgot to change the To field :-P]

> On 18 Jul 2001, Henrik Stokseth <hstokset@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > hi! would close button support for dos be nice to have for completeness
> > sake? i have the neccessary docs for implementing it.
>
> Please don't.

There was a lot of discussion a while ago about what the default action
should be on different platforms, and we also discussed whether to implement
the close hook in the DOS port then. We concluded with "DOS is DOS, and
should not interfere with Windows systems" or some such position, and
someone made a comment about Linux programs' being able to detect when
they're running under emulation on Linux, or the other way round (man I'll
feel dumb when someone tells me how wrong I am :-P ). Whilst this is not my
view, I was acting as the impartial arbiter at the time, so I didn't say
anything.

IMHO, we should do one of two things now:

1. Implement the DOS close hook and window title, but create a function
alongside the main hook function to enable this ability on DOS. It should be
a macro expanding to nothing on other platforms. Put a note in the docs that
using it will implicate the timer. MAKE SURE THE WINDOW TITLE GETS RESET AT
THE END!!! or else I'll ditch Allegro as fast as I ditched RHIDE.

Er ... oh. I still use RHIDE. Go figure :-)

2. Put a note in the docs somewhere about why it wasn't implemented. I would
suggest the FAQ, but developers are even more lazy than beginners when it
comes to reading that...

> > this will create a
> > dependacy to the timer however since it needs a routine to
> constantly poll
> > the state of the close button, therefore i think that i should add a
> > variable to toggle this feature.
>
> Yuck.  IMHO, it's simply unnecessary.

Writing games is "unnecessary"... ;-)

Ben Davis