Re: [AD] packaging trouble

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 11:01:11AM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> - The shared library seems to contain non-PIC code, compiled with
>   --enable-asm=no or --enable-asm=yes. This is a clear RC bug, so the
>   package will be dropped before the next Debian release.

This can't be fixed unless someone can explain what exactly
makes code be PIC or, best of all, what is wrong with Allegro's
existing assembly code.  The reason it's in a separate staticly
linked library is that I didn't know at the time (and still
don't) what makes code PIC or not PIC.  If it is in fact fine,
it could be made dynamic again.

--enable-asm=no should not be linking in any non-PIC code (we always pass -fPIC to gcc
when building the shared library -- if you can find somewhere we
don't, then it needs to be fixed).

George