Re: [AD] packaging trouble

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 05:05:37PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> objdump --headers --private-headers -T lib/unix/liballeg-3.9.37.so |grep rel.text
>   5 .rel.text     00000c08  00010770  00010770  00010770  2**2
> 00010770 l    d  .rel.text      00000000
>
> According to Debian's lintian check this is a clear sign for non-PIC code.

OK, I've looked further now and the problem appears to be static
system libraries (which are not PIC) being linked into the
dynamic library.  These will have to be either put in Allegro
modules (is this acceptable to Debian?) or linked only into the
user's binary.

Looking in my /usr/X11R6/lib directory, most libraries seem to
have shared and static versions but these two don't:

    libXxf86dga.a libXxf86vm.a

I think the solution is to somehow work out at configure time
which libraries will be linked staticly and put these in the
library list used by `allegro-config --libs`, and take them out
of the libs list used by the dynamic library.  Or tell Debian to
include shared versions of the above libraries. :)

If you want to check this yourself, try configuring with DGA,
DGA2 and Vidmode disabled:

    ./configure --disable-dga --disable-dga2 --disable-vidmode

For me, the result no longer has the .rel.text section, and I
have to disable all three things to get this result.

George

--
Random project update:
06/03/2001: AllegroGL 0.0.10 released at http://allegrogl.sourceforge.net/