Re: [AD] packaging trouble

Eduard Bloch (edi@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> It was really a Xfree problem, I reported to the maintainer about the
> issue. He knows about the problem with static libs and expects a fix
> from upstream soon.

It is fixable in Allegro too -- the shared library must only include other
shared libraries, not static ones.  Then the user program has to be linked
with the static libraries it requireds, using the allegro-config script.

> _mixer_exit belongs to esd plugin - it was affected by the same problem.
> Having disabled DGA, DGA2, VIDMODE and esddigi, I can not detect any
> non-PIC code in the library or in the plugins. Thanks for the help! It
> is not a nice solution to disable all drivers, but better than having
> problems with them on the other hand.

Is there a problem with the plugins being non-PIC?  AFAICT they'll never
be shared in memory because of the way they're loaded.  Or will they?

> It works! No non-PIC code any longer. On the weekend, I received a new
> bug report, complaining about linking problems with non-PIC code. In
> fact, gcc on HP-PA refuses to link PIC and non-PIC objects together.

That's impossible... libc is PIC but the default gcc options are non-PIC.
So non-PIC programs can't be linked at all? :)

George