Re: [AD] packaging trouble

#include <hallo.h>
George Foot wrote on Sun Jul 15, 2001 um 06:58:46PM:

> It is fixable in Allegro too -- the shared library must only include other
> shared libraries, not static ones.  Then the user program has to be linked

But there are no shared versions of DGA libs, that is the problem.

> with the static libraries it requireds, using the allegro-config script.

Sorry, no time to have a look on Allegros building system for the next
two week (learning for exams).

> > _mixer_exit belongs to esd plugin - it was affected by the same problem.
> > Having disabled DGA, DGA2, VIDMODE and esddigi, I can not detect any
> > non-PIC code in the library or in the plugins. Thanks for the help! It
> > is not a nice solution to disable all drivers, but better than having
> > problems with them on the other hand.
>
> Is there a problem with the plugins being non-PIC?  AFAICT they'll never
> be shared in memory because of the way they're loaded.  Or will they?

I know about similar plug-in systems in XMMS and libao (from
vorbis-tools). They have no non-PIC related problems, so it should be
possible. If I understand correctly, using the plugins loaded via dlopen
does not change anything on the code references inside the plugins, so
it is still the same code as if it would be linked into the shared
library (like in previous allegro versions). The problems moved from the
main library into the plugins.

> > bug report, complaining about linking problems with non-PIC code. In
> > fact, gcc on HP-PA refuses to link PIC and non-PIC objects together.
>
> That's impossible... libc is PIC but the default gcc options are non-PIC.
> So non-PIC programs can't be linked at all? :)

Okay, limit the statement to shared libs ;) BTW, the compiler message
was:

| /usr/bin/ld: XF86DGA.o: relocation R_PARISC_DPREL21L can not be used
| when making+a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
| /usr/X11R6/lib/libXxf86dga.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
| collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
| make: *** [lib/unix/liballeg-3.9.36.so] Error 1

Same thing that you discovered too.

Thx,
Eduard.
--