Re: [AD] MS Windows GDI and directx

> Allegro GDI programs seem to use dinput for key entry, which is a problem
> if I want to run non directx programs.

The Windows port of Allegro is built on top of DirectX (DirectDraw,
DirectSound, DirectInput). The GDI driver is a graphics-only driver,
included for convenience but IMHO not fully integrated in the lib.

> I can run a GDI program under Linux Wine, but I can't type anything in
> because it doesn't support directx properly.

IMHO using emulators when you can build native apps is not the best thing to
do. Allegro programs are compatible at source-level between Windows and
Linux.

If you want to use emulators anyway, wait until Transgaming Technologies
makes Wine fully DirectX compatible (and kill then the Linux games market).

> Is it feasible to modify the windows version of allegro to use non directx
> commands to input keypresses for GDI programs?

Feasible of course, but not currently planned.

--
Eric Botcazou
ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx