Re: [AD] get_gfx_mode_list implementation.

> IIRC there may be OS or just hardware which won't give you a detailed
> video modes list until you try the modes.

Probably.

> To my mind come the numerous posts about windows users asking why DirectX
> tools say 320x200 is supported but Allegro doesn't work for them in such
> resolution.

That's not a good example: DirectDraw has got a mechanism for querying the
list of supported fullscreen modes and Allegro has used it since 3.9.34: if
Allegro can't set up a particular mode, that's because DirectDraw reports it
as unavailable.

About the 320x200x8 mode: Allegro currently targets DirectX 3, and under
DirectX 3 only linear 320x200x8 and Mode X (Win 9x only) 320x200x8 modes are
supported, not the VGA 320x200x8 mode that was introduced with DirectX 5.
Mode X modes are a pain to address (not linear) so Allegro doesn't use them,
and linear low-res modes are largely unsupported among gfx cards.
Therefore, DirectX tools may report the DirectX 5 VGA 320x200x8 mode, but a
DirectX 3 query call doesn't report it.

I'll try to change that, by enabling the VGA mode without breaking DirectX 3
compatibility.

--
Eric Botcazou
ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx