[AD] DOS digital audio instability

Okay. Eric mentioned that the autodetect code in the DOS port can cause
problems. However, I am assuming that when the driver is explicitly specified
in the cfg file, the autodetect is not used?

If this is the case (?), I have experienced the same instability when the
audio is configured in cfg file. Which leads me to believe that:

a) DOS sound code has problems that are common to all hardware drivers; and/or
b) DOS sound code has problems that are above the driver level. (The mixer?
What else is involved?)

Any ideas?