Re: [AD] Important limitation in Linux version, specially for a UNIX OS

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 03:45:18PM -0400, Bob wrote:
> salvador wrote:
> [snip]
> >   The result is that my daemon uses Allegro. The problem is that this daemon
> > is behaving a little silly: I need to run the daemon from X!! why? just
> > because I call allegro_init(), I never initialize a graphic mode, not even
> > sound or keyboard or mouse. I just need the blitting code and data files
> > handling.
>
> I'm not familiar with the Unix port, but couldn't you just use
> install_allegro(SYSTEM_NONE, ...), instead of allegro_init() ?

That's the right way, as in the `dat' utility.

There are some other issues -- some shared Unix components work
fine without a VC or X window but these aren't available in
SYSTEM_NONE.  I've wondered whether there should be a
SYSTEM_UNIX which does provide these things, but still no
graphics modes or keyboard input.  The only things I think it could
provide are timers and sound drivers, at the moment.  Maybe the
Linux mouse and joystick drivers could be moved to the `unix'
directory too.

The alternative is to go in the other direction -- make the
`linux' directory be more generic, so that the presence of a
console is not so important and only affects whether you can set
a graphics mode (and other things which depend upon that).

I'm not sure whether either of these are worthwhile though.
(I'm assuming SET's problem is solved already.)

George

--
Random project update:
09/05/2000: Libnet 0.10.8 uploaded -- a few bugfixes