Re: [AD] Important limitation in Linux version, specially for a UNIX OS

George Foot wrote:

> On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 03:45:18PM -0400, Bob wrote:
> > salvador wrote:
> > [snip]
> > >   The result is that my daemon uses Allegro. The problem is that this daemon
> > > is behaving a little silly: I need to run the daemon from X!! why? just
> > > because I call allegro_init(), I never initialize a graphic mode, not even
> > > sound or keyboard or mouse. I just need the blitting code and data files
> > > handling.
> >
> > I'm not familiar with the Unix port, but couldn't you just use
> > install_allegro(SYSTEM_NONE, ...), instead of allegro_init() ?
>
> That's the right way, as in the `dat' utility.
>
> There are some other issues -- some shared Unix components work
> fine without a VC or X window but these aren't available in
> SYSTEM_NONE.  I've wondered whether there should be a
> SYSTEM_UNIX which does provide these things, but still no
> graphics modes or keyboard input.  The only things I think it could
> provide are timers and sound drivers, at the moment.  Maybe the
> Linux mouse and joystick drivers could be moved to the `unix'
> directory too.
>
> The alternative is to go in the other direction -- make the
> `linux' directory be more generic, so that the presence of a
> console is not so important and only affects whether you can set
> a graphics mode (and other things which depend upon that).
>
> I'm not sure whether either of these are worthwhile though.
> (I'm assuming SET's problem is solved already.)

So far it seems to work OK, I have yet to try to fork and end the process attached
to the terminal and see the results.
Thank you and sorry about asking it.

SET

--
Salvador Eduardo Tropea (SET). (Electronics Engineer)
Visit my home page: http://welcome.to/SetSoft or