Re: [AD] I will rewrite... the web page :)

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 08:55:45PM +0200, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:
> To acomplish this I wrote a little python script which allows web
> mantainers keep design separated from content, and this content can be
> localized to whatever language you want.

Do all the designers have python support?  Or is that not an issue?

> In the mean time I wanted to ask:
>
> 1) Allegro uses sourceforge's cvs. Do they allow hosting another
>    co-project in another module or whatever so that people downloading
>    Allegro from cvs won't get the web source too? I just don't feel like
>    starting a separate proyect like "Allegro-web" or something similar.

Yes, do this, assuming you want the module to be called `www':

    cvs -z3 -d ...:/cvsroot/allegro import -m "added www module" www vendor start

`vendor' and `start' are pretty much irrelevant.  The command
won't alter your copy of the files, so after doing this you want
to check out the module somewhere else:

    cvs -z3 -d ...:/cvsroot/allegro co www

This is of course what other developers will do too.

It is possible to check out module `.' (current directory),
which will generate subdirectories for `allegro' and `www', and
also `CVSROOT' containing some admin files.  Then you can also
update them all with a `cvs update' in the top directory.

> 2) I know apache allows language negotiation. Can it be done for
>    Sourceforge web pages too? For an example, you can go to
>    http://www.debian.org. If you have selected a language in your
>    browser's preferences, and it's available, you will get it via normal
>    links. If the browser doesn't support this, you can still get the
>    translated versions as index.es.html, index.fr.html, etc.

No idea.

> 3) Does Sourceforge provide mailing list services? I think it would be
>    nice for web mantainers: the english mantainer doing changes to the cvs
>    and mailing updates notifications to the other mantainers, which IMHO
>    is still nicer than having to go every day through cvs' diffs.

Yes, it does.  I don't know whether this should be on
SourceForge or Canvaslink though.  I mean, it's up to Tom
whether he's willing to put it on Canvaslink or not, but putting
it on SourceForge may confuse people.  SourceForge does have
better facilities though (e.g. web-based mailing list
administration and subscription).

> 4) Can cvs files be accessed from a script being run through a ssh
>    connection to sourceforge? Otherwise, how could the pages be generated?
>    At the moment I use a makefile+python solution, which has to be run
>    manually.

Yes, but you must refer to the CVS server as `cvs1', not
`cvs.allegro.sourceforge.net'.  I've done it before, anyway; I
think `cvs1' was the right thing to use.

George