Re: [AD] soname's major number?

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 01:44:55PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> for packaging, I need a certain number for the soname of the Allegro
> libary number.  Currently, soname is not used in the library at all. I
> imagine liballeg.so.4 when Allegro 4 is ready and compability issues are
> resolved? Should I take the number from makefile.ver now? Then it would
> be liballeg.so.13 of similar. Since Allegro is unstable and compability
> a problem for now, I would take
> liballeg-<shared_version>.so.<shared_major> with values from
> makefile.ver. I will use this option and upload the packages today, if
> nobody mind.

The number in makefile.ver is no longer used -- we gave up on
that, since it was just being incremented every time a new
version was uploaded.  Instead we use the real library version
number -- e.g. 3.9.35.

If at the stage of Allegro 4 we start making changes which do
not require a major version update, we'll probably just not
change the major version number.  While we're in WIP it would be
too restrictive to force binary compatibility between versions.

George