Re: [AD] win directx Joystick driver

> i can't believe they did that. the only reason i'd see to do that is to
> force people to upgrade every time a new version is out.

It's probably the main goal.

> ok then. having to maintain two versions of allegro (one with a base
> functionality and the other requiring a newer version of dx) seems to be
> too much trouble, so this idea should probably be dropped ...

Note that I didn't do any test, so backwards compatibility at compile time
may be quietly supported tough.

> i would expect everything to evolve this way, including data structures,
> or this means
> that older interfaces are unusable, and they might as well dump them to
> save space and maintainance time.

The old interfaces are there in order to maintain runtime backwards
compatibility: a DirectX 1 program can still retrieve its DirectX 1
interface from the DirectX 8 runtime libs.

The question is whether a DirectX 8 program can retrieve the DirectX 1
interface from the DirectX 1 runtime libs and properly use it.

--
Eric Botcazou
ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx