Re: [AD] GFX_SAFE under Windows

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Eric Botcazou wrote:

> But GFX_SAFE first tries to set a GFX_AUTODETECTed mode, and under Windows
> GFX_AUTODETECT means fullscreen.
> So either we also change the behaviour of GFX_AUTODETECT under Windows or
> we'll have to change the behaviour of GFX_SAFE.

I'm all for changing the behavior or GFX_SAFE to make it safer.  The only
big problem I have with it is that set_gfx_mode is a horrible function (at
least, the last time I looked at it).  Its already hard to predict what it
will do from looking at the code.  Its recursive, long, has a ton of if
statements.  I may be exagerating a little, but adding more code to make
it behave differently based on the OS will just make it uglier.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm all for the idea of changing GFX_SAFE to make it
safer, even if that means different things on different OSes.  I'm just
having flashbacks of how difficult it is to trace through what
set_gfx_mode is doing.

I don't think that GFX_AUTODETECT should change.

--
               The Phoenix -- The Artistic Intuition Company
 Runica * Phoenix Quake * Caelius * Zen-X * Mirror Reflex * Infinite Realms