Re: [AD] GFX_SAFE under Windows

> I'm all for changing the behavior or GFX_SAFE to make it safer. The only
> big problem I have with it is that set_gfx_mode is a horrible function (at
> least, the last time I looked at it).  Its already hard to predict what it
> will do from looking at the code.  Its recursive, long, has a ton of if
> statements.  I may be exagerating a little, but adding more code to make
> it behave differently based on the OS will just make it uglier.

Quite right. The function is still over-complicated and I don't want to add
my own contribution.

> Don't get me wrong.  I'm all for the idea of changing GFX_SAFE to make it
> safer, even if that means different things on different OSes.  I'm just
> having flashbacks of how difficult it is to trace through what
> set_gfx_mode is doing.

That's exactly my mind: to make GFX_SAFE safer.

> I don't think that GFX_AUTODETECT should change.

I would agree again; then the only remaining way would be to change
the behaviour of GFX_SAFE.
But I'm also aware that there have been many discussions about that in the
past (GFX_SAFER, GFX_ANY, ...) and I don't want them to begin again.

--
Eric Botcazou
ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx