Re: [AD] ugetx() constness patch and new font subsystem

[snip - does patch break anything?]
As you said, only things which touch the FONT structure directly.
However, add-on authors should be happy because this lets them make much
better add-ons.

[snip - glyphs with different heights break text_height()]
>How would it be fixed?  Go through the entire range and find the maximum
>height?

Yes.

> Would that be slow?

No; it would only occur once, on font creation.

> How often do glyphs have different
>heights?

Never seen it happen before, but it is possible that a broken bitmap
could feed a multi-height font into the grabber. You would have to do it
deliberately, though.

Two more things:

 - there was a typo in the patch; there is another patch to fix it (I've
   sent it in to the SourceForge page, and it's on my patch page). It
   was simply replacing `0' with `f'.

 - I broke dat2s :-) which means that anything using it (like setup) no
   longer works. In the patch I submitted, font output is simply
   commented out, but I am currently working to debug this. Will
   probably have to wait until the weekend, though.

Because of this, you might not want to apply the patch just yet; I don't
know. Anyway, the patches are available on the sourceforge page, or at:

 http://www.lwithers.demon.co.uk/prog/allegro/patches/

(which includes my work to fix dat2s, if anybody can help...)

Bye for now,
--
Laurence Withers, lwithers@xxxxxxxxxx
                http://www.lwithers.demon.co.uk/