Re: [AD] file selector

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:15:18 -0500 Andy Goth <unununium@xxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
> > I vote for a more complex file selector call which allows sorting or
not
> > to be selectable, with different possible behaviours, which even may
be
> > supplied by the user programmer (something like what qsort allows: a
> > user function which determines sort order).
>
> This sounds pretty nice.  A new standard file selector dialog could be
> developed that displays checkboxes and/or radio buttons for the sort.

Sounds good to me too!

> Examples:
>
> ( ) Show non-hidden files

Would anyone actually want to see only hidden files?

> ( ) Sort alphabetically then by number
>     ("file0, file1, file2, file8, file9, file10" will be in this order)

If the alphabetical sorter did numbers as well, then you wouldn't need
this at all. The user could just name the files 'file00, file01...file10'
and it would sort the desired way.

There are so many possible options, should they all just be put onto the
dialog? Or would it be better to have a 'More...' button? Or would it be
better to have drop-list buttons at the bottom of the dialog (one button
for each section. ex: 'Hidden files','Directories','Sorting') ?

Have a great day!
Stephen Kittelson
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.