RE: [AD] Sound problem with OSS

Hmmm, I should forward that to AD too, in case someone has
an idea on how to detect a failure in setting the DSP params...

--
Lyrian

George wrote:
> > I guess I have a problem with my 16 bit DMA....
>
> Can you check that?  Do "cat /proc/dma", see what it's set to,
> see if you agree; if it's an ISA Plug'n'Play card, see what's
> set in `/etc/isapnp.conf'.  If it's wrong, and you're using
> modular sound drivers, look for a line in `/etc/conf.modules'
> looking something like this:

I've compiled sound support right into the kernel.
I've set it to 6, which is what it is configured in DOS.
The 8 bit one is 1. If I recall well (I'm at work now),
/proc/dma shows the right values (eg 6 to soundblaster...)
Also /proc/sound (or /dev/sndstat, it seems to be the same)
reports all working (SB16, blah blah). I ran isapnp with
a modified /etc/isapnp.conf. It ran. Don't remember what it
output, but there were no errors.
But (there is a but) I get a warning at bootup stating that
I have a conflict trying to hook DMAs 1 and 6, and which
tells me to get a look at /proc/dma. I did, but all seemed
to be OK. And since it works perfectly (input, output, midi),
I didn't look further.
But anyway, even if I have a broken install (which is quite
probable), the issue is that Allegro does not detect the 16
bit mode won't work. I was wondering if the people that made
this OSS driver (Peter ?) had a guess to a function that would
make the check...

> `dma16' is the high, 16 bit DMA channel -- change it to whatever
> you like.  Then you need to unload and reload the sound modules
> -- either reboot, or use `modprobe' to remove and reinstall them
> all.

When I tried that, I was using combos of insmod and rmmod, along
with lsmod. I had great pain with those, as there was an order in
which load them (which is why I put that in the kernel this time)...
Is this modprobe better at doing this ?

--
Lyrian