Re: [AD] Unix-specific distributions

George Foot <george.foot@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> The attached patch includes a script `misc/mkunixdists.sh', which is
> passed the name of an Allegro .zip archive.  It produces a corresponding
> .tar.gz archive, after running `fixunix.sh', and then removes various
> chunks of the distribution and patches `makefile.in', and creates another
> .tar.gz archive for end users.

Excellent stuff, thanks for doing this.

> All that's in this archive is just enough to build the library and install
> it and the headers.  I was considering whether we should provide the setup
> program (though this makes the makefile patching in the script a little
> deeper) and some of the tools which distributors might be using in their
> makefiles (e.g. I've used `dat').

I think tools like dat are enough outside the normal course of operations
that we don't need to include them. I'm not so sure about the setup program,
though: is that part of Allegro that we need to supply, or an optional
component that the programmer should include for themselves if they want it?

Grzegorz Hankiewicz recently suggested the idea of embedding the setup code
into your own programs, so setup.c now has a bunch of defines to enable
that: you can rather easily just #include "setup.c" somewhere in your game
code, and then call it from one of your menu options. I'm not sure how
important that option really is, but if we distribute the setup ourselves,
we are certainly discouraging people from being more creative in how they
use it.

Although, to date I've noticed almost nobody actually including the setup
util along with their games. I'm not sure whether that means that we need to
provide it separately, or that popular opinion has decided that it just
isn't needed, though.

> You can either leave it as a separate script, or call it from the end of
> `zipup.sh' -- or merge it with zipup if you want to.

I think it has to stay separate. I run zipup.sh in win95, so it will have
access to the compilers for building djgpp/Watcom/MSVC dependency files
first. It will still work in Linux, but can't create the right dependencies
there (I could probably manage to get that working if I cared badly enough,
but it is easier to just do it in Windows). But the tarball has to be
created in Unix, so it can get the executable flags set right.

--
Shawn Hargreaves - shawn@xxxxxxxxxx - http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/
"A binary is barely software: it's more like hardware on a floppy disk."