Re: [AD] CPU yielding

On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 12:29:51PM +0100, Vincent Penquerc'h wrote:
> Since some people think having a yielding feature would be good and no one
> seems to write it, I'm going to write it. I see two ways:
> - add an entry to the system driver
> - make it a regular routine which body is #ifdef'd
> Do you have an opinion on this before I code it ?

Put an entry in the system driver -- that's what it's for! :)
In some cases there's an argument that it's less efficient going
through the system driver struct, but this is basically a
function you call when you don't have anything better to do, so
efficiency isn't much of an issue.  Plus, it's possible that
e.g. the Linux console system driver and the X system driver
would want to implement this differently (I doubt they will, in
this case, but still...).  With this system, anyway, these two
system drivers can share the Unix code, in the same way that
they share a lot of the other Unix code.

I have a feeling Shawn didn't want this in Allegro though --
still, it doesn't hurt to write the patches ready for when he
gets back.

George