Re: [AD] another patch

Michael Bukin <M.A.Bukin@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> http://www.inp.nsk.su/~bukinm/allegro/au032.gz
>
> It should be applied after au031.

Got it, thanks. A lot of changes, you've certainly been busy! Which leads me
on to something I've been thinking about for a while, see below...

> I found one problem with this patch.  I tried to correctly convert Allegro
> colors to X-windows colors and made a typo in
> _xwin_private_set_truecolor_colors.  On the line with
>
>   _xwin.gmap[i] = ...;
>
> it should use gmax instead of bmax.  It is only noticable when X-server is
> running in 16-bpp mode (bmax != gmax).

Done.

Anyway, what I was thinking is, there are a whole bunch of people who have
been doing enormous chunks of work on Allegro recently (certainly far more
than I have myself!) and I'm a little bit concerned that the only place is
actually gets mentioned is a little note buried away somewhere in the middle
of the AUTHORS file. To use you as an example, you did such a complete job
of this X code that nobody else has really even had to look at it, which
means that I'm not even aware enough of all the million little problems
involved to make AUTHORS say anything more detailed than just "did a bunch
of work on the X code". Which is true enough, but feels like too much of an
understatement to me!

So (and this goes for all you people who write big pieces of cool stuff),
what should I do about it? There are currently 121 different people listed
in AUTHORS, which is truly incredible, but obviously they range from some
people doing massive amounts of dedicated work while others just make a
single line bugfix somewhere. I'd like the people who did all this work to
get their names stuck up somewhere obvious in big flashing letters, but then
again, I'd hate to get into anything so organised or judgemental as trying
to sort the file based on how much work people did, so I'm not sure how best
it should be organised.

Any suggestions? (from anyone, that is, since all the really hardworking
people will probably be modest and insist that they don't care about any of
this :-) Or do you feel it's enough that people on this mailing list know
who you are, and appreciate all the work you are doing?

--
Shawn Hargreaves - shawn@xxxxxxxxxx - http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/
"A binary is barely software: it's more like hardware on a floppy disk."