Re: [AD] Shared library patch for WIP 3.9.21

On Sat, Jul 10, 1999 at 06:57:22PM +0100, George Foot wrote:
> My next plans are to add this install support, sort out the
> static library for asm functions, and make some changes to the
> keyboard driver; I'll try to get all this done before the next
> WIP.

The attached patch adds install support and almost sorts out the
asm functions.  Apply it after the previous one.  Again, see the
top of the patch for more details.

Regarding version information:  I've created a new file,
`makefile.ver', that holds values for shared_major and
shared_minor.  If a WIP is so different from the previous one
that its shared library is no longer backwards-compatible,
increase the major version and zero the minor version.
Otherwise, increase the minor version each time.  These do not
have to be numbers, but I suggest that Shawn's releases use
numbers.  Other developers ought to personalise them as
necessary to avoid clashes -- but if you don't install the
libraries properly then this won't be a problem.

More information:  Problems can only occur if you have
long-lasting executables (not rebuilt with each upgrade to the
library) and are using installed shared libraries in these
executables.  People just using the library in their programs
but not developing it themselves will have no problems; their
old executables will go on working fine (provided the developers
get the version numbering right).  People adding custom changes
to the library between WIPs *and* having installed shared
libraries *and* having long-term binaries should make sure they
uniquify the major version in makefile.ver on their between-WIP
builds.

So from that point of view, it's safe for end-users to use this
shared library system -- apart from the fact that the asm code
isn't PIC.  I have figured out when this will cause a problem
now, though I'm not keen to try it any more until I've installed
the matroxfb driver and can do dangerous things without root
privileges.  I'll fix the problem now, in any case.

--
George