Re: [AD] Shared library patch for WIP 3.9.21

On Sat, Jul 10, 1999 at 10:35:26PM +0100, George Foot wrote:
> So from that point of view, it's safe for end-users to use this
> shared library system -- apart from the fact that the asm code
> isn't PIC.  I have figured out when this will cause a problem
> now, though I'm not keen to try it any more until I've installed
> the matroxfb driver and can do dangerous things without root
> privileges.  I'll fix the problem now, in any case.

The attached patch fixes this now.  The unsharable code is put
into separate libraries (called `liballeg_nonshared.a',
`liballd_nonshared.a', etc) and in `lib%.so' we arrange for
`lib%_nonshared.a' to be linked after the shared library,
filling in the gaps.  These bits are then statically linked, so
the PIC problem is no more.  The static bit for the `normal'
library is about 100K.

--
George