Re: [AD] The linux version looks cool! Cheers.

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz <gah@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I just wanted to say that I have finally got to run the Allegro programs
> under Linux with a framebuffer. Everything looks great until Allegro wants
> to use a resolution still not configured in /etc/fb.modes. Then usually
> all goes blank.

What framebuffer driver are you using? I can only use the vesafb device on
my machine, which doesn't support changing resolution except at boot time,
so I've been unable to test the mode setting code at all. It's good to hear
that it does at least mostly work :-)

With my vesafb device, whenever I try to set an unknown mode (ie. anything
other than the one it is already in) it returns an error from the
FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO ioctl (line 211 of fbcon.c). I would have thought that a
proper mode changing driver would do the same thing, and I don't see any
obvious way to work around it if this isn't happening. Could you add some
printouts in vesafb.c, to find out exactly what it does return from that
ioctl, and whether it thinks it has set an ok mode, or has actually failed
but then somehow left the hardware in a strange state?

--
Shawn Hargreaves - shawn@xxxxxxxxxx - http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/
"A binary is barely software: it's more like hardware on a floppy disk."