Re: [AD] Frame buffers and appended datafiles

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz <gah@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> However, when using the matrox fb, the mode 320x200 is set, but I just get
> the demo animation running wrapped around the screen, and in some sort of
> "interlaced mode" :-)

Aha. Yes, this doesn't surprise me at all. The problem is that although the
VGA driver knows how to set a standard VGA mode, it doesn't know how to
unset a Matrox-specific SVGA mode, so it won't work properly if you run it
while already in a graphics mode that uses extended chip-specific register
values. The solution is just not to use GFX_VGA while you have a framebuffer
device available :-)

Regarding the sync problems, I'm afraid this will have to wait until someone
with a suitable driver can look at it, or until I get around to digging out
the Matrox board from my old PC so I can test with that.

> Where can I get makeinfo? I thought it would be included with the gcc or
> fileutils packages, but allegro's makefile tells me otherwise.

Do you mean for djgpp, or Linux? The djgpp version is in the texinfo
package. It should already be included with just a Linux system.

> Exedat works under linux. However:
>
> If you run strip on the exe, the attached datafile goes away.

Not exactly surprising! I suspect that the djgpp strip utility will do the
same thing (it would be deep magic if it didn't).

--
Shawn Hargreaves - shawn@xxxxxxxxxx - http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/
"A binary is barely software: it's more like hardware on a floppy disk."