Re: [AD] GGI patch for 3.9.21

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Shawn Hargreaves wrote:

> In practice, I can easily set things up so that gfx_mode_select(), alert(),
> etc, will all look sensible no matter what color depth was chosen by
> GFX_SAFE. But if this sometime sets a truecolor mode, a lot of the examples
> and tests won't work properly, and I'm not keen to rewrite them all to be

If there really could be a problem, then the program should have the
choice (eg. GFX_SAFE and GFX_SAFER).  I wasn't just thinking of GFX_SAFE
however, as it is quite annoying to have to quit X and restart just to
run an 8 bit program, especially when I've got stuff downloading in the
background.

> Is there really any benefit to using GGI under X, given that we will soon
> have our own native X code?

Well, for now, it is very useful, as I'd be able to start coding in X.
It's also very useful to test the code under, 'cause if something goes
wrong I can just close the window.

> I think this is really a more general issue: to what extent do we overlap
> with GGI, versus to what extent do we sit on top of it.

So that we don't go through too many layers, it's obviously best to
avoid as much of GGI as we can.  But I would like the option of choosing
whether or not I use GGI, as one day they might come up with a cool
target, eg. KGI.  Of course there's no reason why we couldn't make that
an native target in Allegro as well, but it'd probably be a lot of work.

Anyway, I want to see my Allegro program running in that cube thing! :)

> Console switching is an interesting thing. The current code no longer calls

Since Allegro now has functions to control switching behavior, it'd be
best if those functions did the same thing with all targets.  What
worked for the GGI people with svgalib should work for us.  The hunter
becomes the hunted :)

--
tjaden@xxxxxxxxxx - http://psynet.net/tjaden/ - ICQ: 4588779