[translations] Re: Testing a Gitlab MR for translations

El 20/6/20 a las 19:20, Francisco Vila escribió:
Dear team, I know I've been pretty absent. Sorry!

Well. I have:

Created Gitlab account.
Forked project.
Cloned repo.
Created translation branch.
   $ git checkout translation
Changed something, commited and pushed.
   $ git push
Created merge request against lilypond:translation

TBH I created the MR against lilypond:master but you can edit it afterwards.

I don't see the need to create yet another branch in your local repo to translate on it, because you are pushing to your fork anyway.

What's more, I don't see the need to create a translation branch, because again, you are pushing to your fork.

Whoever is going to accept the merge, could find it useful and/or safe to have a separate translation branch for translations, but we could hypothetically request a merge to lilypond:master and we already have a security net, with a similar effect to what we had before. No need to have a double/triple security net with so many branches.

In fact, you create a MR and it is made to master by default. You have to chante it to translation in the web, manually.

Anyway, hope all is OK. Thanks!

James says 'please push' to my MR, that's fine, but here are my questions to him. Please tellme if they are too naive and/or you have the answers already:

« Thank you, James. Just to clarify, for me and other translators [not urgent]:

  - That 'Please Push' bit is directed to me specifically? I guess not.
- The meaning of 'Push' has changed, OK? This is a MR, applying it is the old 'push' thing - The branch I am working into is totally irrelevant, all reduces to a MR now. - The branch I issue the MR against, 'translation' in this case, is not as important as it used to, that was the old workflow, unless keeping that separate branch is interesting or useful to keep all translations fully separated as before. - For 'one letter typos' all the process is annoying for you and pretty much all other developers. This can be improved. »

--
Francisco Vila, Ph.D. - Badajoz (Spain)
Tutoriales de LilyPond y Frescobaldi