Re: [translations] Re: How to extract PDF of translated documentation?

2013/1/14 Werner LEMBERG <wl@xxxxxxx>:
> I wonder what's the best way to update outdated documentation.
> Reading the whole documentation and checking the translation is
> probably quite hard and needs a lot of time.  Would it be better
> instead to use a git repository viewer, walking over the English
> documentation commits and translating them commit by commit?  Or do
> you recommend to check the differences between development releases?

Werner: we have means to know exactly what needs updating in a
translation. John Mandereau built the check-translation method
Federico mentioned in his response. CG explains it. If a file does not
change, keeps unnoticed for years. You don't have to read the
documentation to check it.

This is my workflow for updating Spanish translations:

 - Open a terminal in ~/source/lilypond/Documentation
 - move git to translation branch if not there already.
 - git pull the translation branch
 - make ISOLANG=es check-translation > ct.log

A bash script counts lines in previous version of ct.log, then
performs the make command above, then counts and prints its length
again. Thus, I have a shrinking number and my goal is reaching 1 (one)
for it.

This log is usually very long. Examine it with less. It contains all
differences for all outdated files since they were last updated.
Choose a file, e.g. notation/chords.itely

Now, updating this file comprises two stages. One is structure; for
this I use the meld utility this way: (I am in Documentation)

 - meld notation/chords.itely es/notation/chords.itely

I have a script that does this:

  $ mymeld.sh chords.itely

Now, I have to clone the node/section structure of the English file
(left) to the translated file (right) using clickable arrows in meld.
Copy whole sections, menus, paragraphs, lilypond snippets, single
lines, whatever. No matter if they are in English. Save your file and
exit meld.

Now comes 2nd stage: actually translating the file. I edit my files
with emacs. I use alt-tab to switch to the terminal which has 'less'
showing differences for the file. One difference at a time, I
translate those words/lines/paragraphs. Then update the texinfo menus
with emacs. Save the file and exit. Now, 'git diff' shows what
editings I made to the file.

Red blanks in 'git diff' show trailing spaces. Remove them.

We have to mark the file as updated. I extract the version ID "the
committish" of the original file from 'git log notation/chords.itely'
and copy it in my file. Again, a bash script does this all, giving
only "notation/chords.itely" as argument. The file is updated and
marked as such.

 - git add es/notation/chords.itely
 - git commit -m 'Doc-es: <description of the commit>'
 - make ISOLANG=es check-translation > ct.log

Now the file should not appear in this log.
 - less ct.log and choose another file.

Repeat until output of 'make ISOLANG=es check-translation' is void.