Re: [translations] updating an up-to-date file?!?

2010/11/25 Federico Bruni <fedelogy@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Il giorno gio, 25/11/2010 alle 10.39 +0100, Francisco Vila ha scritto:
>> > I thaught I should always use the committish provided by this
>> command:
>> >
>> > git rev-list HEAD |head -1
>> >

>> > Why should I use the last committish of the original in this case?
>>
>> If the file is really up to date, both are equivalent.  I use the
>> committish of the original as extra data for my convenience: that way
>> I know what exact version of the file am I in sync with.
>>

> It seems wise :)
>
> Last question about update.  Actually, I prefer using terminal rather
> than web interface.
> Could you please tell me if the following procedure is OK?
>
> 1) I check the commit date of my last revision with 'git log
> path/to/file'
> This date doesn't tell me exactly which version of original file I used,
> but it's a good reference.
> That's why your "committish strategy" explained above seems much
> convenient.
>

> 2) 'git log path/to/original' and I pick the committish which is likely
> to be the one I used in my last revision.  After checking and comparing
> I *should* be sure about it.
>

> 3) 'git diff committish path/to/original'
>

> This should give me the diff from that committish to current one.
>
> It's OK?

I have never done it that way because I think that's exactly what
check-translation does.  Do you use it, and how? I redirect its
(usually very long) output to a file, then less -R thatFile.  In
another terminal I can issue the edit commands.

Anyway, I'll take a more close look to your procedure.