Re: [tablatures] Re: ukulele fretboards

Thanks, Matt.

On 11/24/09 12:17 PM, "Matt Corks" <mvcorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 08:24:45AM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> We also need a blurb to go in the documentation somewhere (probably in
>> the fret diagrams section) that mentions the presence of
>> predefined-ukulele-fretboards.
>
> Okay, as a starting point, I've added some proposed documentation
> changes for sections 2.4.1 and B.3 to
> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1=649
> <http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1&id=649>
>
> I also realized I had only defined chords for 12 keys, not 17 (ais but
> not bes, etc), so I've fixed that now on the version in LSR.
>
> While I'm at it, the predefined-guitar-ninth-fretboards.ly file is not
> mentioned very clearly in the documentation. Is there a reason these
> haven't been added to predefined-guitar-fretboard.ly, or at least
> mentioned in B.3?

There's a reason they are not combined, and it might even be a good one.
The guitar-ninth-fretboards got added in response to some comments about
errors in the documentation (that were actually errors in the automatic
fretboard generation).

We use a C9 chord in the documentation to demonstrate automatic fretboard
generation.  Our initial plan was to leave the 9th fretboards out of
predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly so we could continue to do that, but maybe
that's a myopic view.

There is no good reason for not mentioning
predefined-guitar-ninth-fretboards.ly in B.3.

Now that I think about it, we should probably figure out some other way to
demonstrate the automatic fretboard calculation process, and go ahead and
add guitar-ninth-fretobards.ly to predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly

>>> As I mentioned before, would it also be possible to get the set of
>>> standard ukulele tunings added?  Again, these are:
>>>
>>>   ukulele-tuning            g'c'e'a'
>>>   ukulele-d-tuning          a'd'f#'b'
>>>   ukulele-tenor-tuning      gc'e'a'
>>>   ukulele-baritone-tuning   dgbe'
>>
>> Please convert these to the proper scheme commands, and I'll add them
>> to output-lib.  As a temporary workaround, you could add them at the
>> top of predefined-ukulele-fretboards.
>
> Right, I did add that ukulele-tuning to predefined-ukulele-fretboards.
> I had avoided the others just because I thought I might make a mistake
> and wasn't sure how to easily proofread these.  Here you go, but
> someone ought to double check these numbers (for example, I think one
> number was wrong in the last version I sent to this list):

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no *someone* available to
double-check the numbers.  As it stands right now, you are the expert on
ukulele fretboards and ukulele tunings for LilyPond.

Perhaps you could find some external resources you could use to check and
make sure these are correct.

Thanks,

Carl