Re: [tablatures] Baroque lute tablature

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 11:58:09 -0000
> Von: "Trevor Daniels" <t.daniels@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> An: "Patrick Schmidt" <p.l.schmidt@xxxxxx>, tablatures@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Betreff: Re: [tablatures] Baroque lute tablature

> Patrick Schmidt wrote Sunday, November 15, 2009 7:25 PM
>
> >> Von: "Trevor Daniels" <t.daniels@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >>
> >> d) I haven't yet looked into adding the decorations (the comma,
> >> the
> >> small curve and line under notes) mainly because I'm not sure
> >> what
> >> they represent musically.
> >
> > comma:  means appogiatura from above (Pull off, "accent") if it
> > appears to the right of a letter. I believe it can also take the
> > form of ")" or "^"
> >
> > small curve under notes: means appogiatura from below (Hammer on,
> > Mersenne calls it "accent plaintif")
> >
> > line *above* notes: means appogiatura from a semitone below
> > ("half-fall")
>
> Ah, thanks!  That makes more sense now.
>
> >> e) But the big lesson is that transcribing from tab to tab via
> >> notemode is totally impractical.  I and many lutenists do not
> >> know what pitch a particular fingering generates.  A tabmode
> >> entry
> >> form will be essential.  This has some obvious difficulties,
> >> the main one being the lack of information about how accidentals
> >> should be represented when outputted in a standard staff.  Not
> >> sure what to do about this.
> >
> > I'm not sure if I understand the problem. Wouldn't it be rather
> > clear how to represent accidentals if users were to add a
> > \key-command in tabmode like \key d \minor and the tuning of the
> > strings (in combination with some LilyPond-definitions for each
> > key of the most probable accidentals that should be outputted in
> > standard staff, e.g. in d minor: c sharp instead of d flat)?
>
> If the key is known a good guess can usually be made,
> but not if the key modulates.
True, but I rather wanted to propose to implement a feature which makes it possible to change the tonality within tabmode without necessarily changing the key signature. That is to say a command like e.g. "\mode c\mixolydian" which you can use within a piece to take care of temporary modulations. The fret numbers would be interpreted in the new mode. But I haven't a clue whether this is feasible. To me this would be comparable to adjusting the playing position with e.g. "\set TabStaff.minimumFret = #7"  in traditional notation. Does that make sense?