Re: [tablatures] Baroque lute tablature

On 11/22/09 3:57 AM, "Trevor Daniels" <t.daniels@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Trevor Daniels wrote 16 November 2009 11:58
>
>> OK, I'll continue.  Next step is set out an implementation
>> plan.
>
> Sorry for hiatus - some other things came up.
>
> I see the implementation proceeding in three phases:
>
> Phase I: Implement lute tab output from notemode input with basic
> facilities
>
> I suggest these basic facilities:
>
>   Lettered fret indications
>   Duration changes
>   Bass courses
>   Laissez vibrer indication as slur
>   Right-hand fingerings
>   Left-hand fingerings
>
> The glyphs to be used will be those currently available in LilyPond.
>
> This will require resolving (at least!) these issues:
>
>   How should bass course tunings be specified?

There are two options I can think of:

1.  Add a bassTunings property that lists the bass courses
2.  Add the bass course tunings to stringTunings, and add a new property
that indicates the number of bass courses.

I think I prefer option 1.  Since we need to add a property anyway, it might
as well be the bass course tunings, which is the information we realy want
to have answered.

>   Baroque lute tab context definitions
>   Use markup above/below tab or some other approach?

I think that the quickest thing to do would be to use markups.

But I think the best thing to do is to create some new engravers.  I haven't
thought carefully about the names, but they'd be something like
lute_notehead_engraver, lute_stem_engraver, and lute_bass_engraver.  Then
we'd have the proper logical entries.

>   How much can be done in Scheme?

All *can* be done in Scheme, but I don't think it all should.  New engravers
are in C++.

>   Is a new engraver needed or should an existing one be modified?

See above.

>   What context and grob properties are required?

This will come out as you get things implemented.

> Phase II: Implement tabmode input
>
> Issues to be resolved: (much less clear at present)
>
>   Input syntax for tablature
>   Syntax for defining accidentals to be used for Staff output
>   How/when to convert to notemode
>   How this is to be implemented
>
> Phase III: Tidy up and implement additional features
>
> Some to consider:
>
>   Decorations
>   Laissez vibrer indication with correct end point
>   Improved glyphs
>   End of section and end of piece indications
>   Double pluck indication (diagonal line between two frets)
>   Simultaneous pluck indication (vertical line with decoration)
>   Italian style

You may want this to be part of Phase I, as it will help govern the context
and grob properties desired.

HTH,

Carl