Re: [tablatures] Re: Errors in Documentation/snippets

> > Dear Carl,
> >
> > I'm willing to tackle this but I don't know whether I can manage it
> within
> > this week. I'm having some problems invoking LilyPond from the
> command-line
> > (see bug mailing list). I am able to download the main source code but I
> was
> > not successful to build documentation without compiling LilyPond. But
> maybe
> > there is a workaround.
>
> I'll be happy to do the compiling of the documentation you write.  You can
> just email me the .itely file as well as the snippets.
>

> > Please let me know where to start off.
> >

> Start by reading the Contributors' Guide section 3, Documentation work:
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor/Documentation-work

Ok, I read the relevant sections.

> This give you all the rules needed for documentation.  It suggests that
> for
> larger contributions (like you are going to make) you should send git
> patches.  If you *know how to use* git, or if you *want to learn to use*
> git, then go ahead and do that.  If you do not want to get involved in git
> yet, just send me the whole file.

I already have some experience with git. At least I know the basic commands.
> The file you want to work with is fretted-strings.itely, which you can get
> from
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=blob_plain;f=Documentat
> ion/notation/fretted-strings.itely;hb=HEAD
>

> The sample files that you can use to see all of the features that have
> been
> added are in the regression tests, and can be found at
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=tree;f=input/regression
> ;h=33a04eb62354ef92ffc458968b953ff8a4febd7a;hb=HEAD
>
> Look for files whose names start with "tablature".

Are these the same files as the ones I have in

~/lilypond/Documentation/notation

and

~/lilypond/input/regression

after downloading the main source code with git?

> Following the examples of other sections in fretted-strings.itely, please
> add sections on how to use all of the features that Marc added.  And
> please
> try to add index terms, as suggested in the Contributors' guide.
>
> Also, the snippet
>
> Documentation/snippets/modern-tab-text-clef.ly should be copied to
>
> Documentation/snippets/new/modern-tab-text-clef.ly
>
> and the content of the snippet should be changed to
>
> \markup {This snippet is obsolete as of version 2.13.4}

Just to make sure that I understood:
I copy the file modern-tab-text-clef.ly from

Documentation/snippets/

Documentation/snippets/new/

and replace the complete content of the old file in Documentation/snippets/modern-tab-text-clef.ly by \markup {This snippet is obsolete as of version 2.13.4}, right?

> This will ensure that when the next stable version of LilyPond is
> released,
> that snippet will go away.
>
> If you don't have git, then I'll handle the copying, but I'd still
> appreciate it if you'd create the new version of the snippet.
I'm quite sure that I'll manage to create and send you git-patches, (but I will probably not be able to build documentation on my machine because of a nasty bus error I can't get rid off).

> Thanks for your willingness to do this.
>
> Please let me know if you need more help or guidance.

Thanks for your help,
patrick