Re: [tablatures] Re: Errors in Documentation/snippets

On 9/25/09 11:31 AM, "Patrick Schmidt" <p.l.schmidt@xxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Dear Carl,
>>>
>>> I'm willing to tackle this but I don't know whether I can manage it
>> within
>>> this week. I'm having some problems invoking LilyPond from the
>> command-line
>>> (see bug mailing list). I am able to download the main source code but I
>> was
>>> not successful to build documentation without compiling LilyPond. But
>> maybe
>>> there is a workaround.
>>
>> I'll be happy to do the compiling of the documentation you write.  You can
>> just email me the .itely file as well as the snippets.

Since you have git, don't email me the .itely file; just send me patches
(and tell me the SHA1 ID of the version you're patching against, please).

>>> Please let me know where to start off.
>>>

>> Start by reading the Contributors' Guide section 3, Documentation work:
>>
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor/Documentation-work
>>
> Ok, I read the relevant sections.
>
>> This give you all the rules needed for documentation.  It suggests that
>> for
>> larger contributions (like you are going to make) you should send git
>> patches.  If you *know how to use* git, or if you *want to learn to use*
>> git, then go ahead and do that.  If you do not want to get involved in git
>> yet, just send me the whole file.
>>
> I already have some experience with git. At least I know the basic commands.

Great -- it's much easier to use git.  I just didn't want to put a big
hurdle for git in front of you.

>> The file you want to work with is fretted-strings.itely, which you can get
>> from
>>
>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=blob_plain;f=Documentat
>> ion/notation/fretted-strings.itely;hb=HEAD
>>

>> The sample files that you can use to see all of the features that have
>> been
>> added are in the regression tests, and can be found at
>>
>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=tree;f=input/regression
>> ;h=33a04eb62354ef92ffc458968b953ff8a4febd7a;hb=HEAD
>>
>> Look for files whose names start with "tablature".
>>

> Are these the same files as the ones I have in
>
> ~/lilypond/Documentation/notation
>
> and
>
> ~/lilypond/input/regression
>
> after downloading the main source code with git?

Yes they are.  One you've done a git fetch or a git pull, you have exactly
the same files as are on the savannah repository.

>> Following the examples of other sections in fretted-strings.itely, please
>> add sections on how to use all of the features that Marc added.  And
>> please
>> try to add index terms, as suggested in the Contributors' guide.
>>
>> Also, the snippet
>>
>> Documentation/snippets/modern-tab-text-clef.ly should be copied to
>>
>> Documentation/snippets/new/modern-tab-text-clef.ly
>>
>> and the content of the snippet should be changed to
>>
>> \markup {This snippet is obsolete as of version 2.13.4}
>>

> Just to make sure that I understood:
> I copy the file modern-tab-text-clef.ly from
>
> Documentation/snippets/

> Documentation/snippets/new/
>
> and replace the complete content of the old file in
> Documentation/snippets/modern-tab-text-clef.ly by \markup {This snippet is
> obsolete as of version 2.13.4}, right?

Almost, but not quite.

You will leave the header there (but remove the automatically-added parts of
the header).  Then you will change the *body* of the snippet to \markukp{}.

See
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel/22660/match=snippet+o
bsolete
for more information.

>> This will ensure that when the next stable version of LilyPond is
>> released,
>> that snippet will go away.
>>
>> If you don't have git, then I'll handle the copying, but I'd still
>> appreciate it if you'd create the new version of the snippet.
> I'm quite sure that I'll manage to create and send you git-patches, (but I
> will probably not be able to build documentation on my machine because of a
> nasty bus error I can't get rid off).

That's OK.  I'm happy to do the building for you.

Carl