Re: [tablatures] Re: Errors in Documentation/snippets

On 9/25/09 2:52 AM, "Patrick Schmidt" <p.l.schmidt@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear Carl,
>
> I'm willing to tackle this but I don't know whether I can manage it within
> this week. I'm having some problems invoking LilyPond from the command-line
> (see bug mailing list). I am able to download the main source code but I was
> not successful to build documentation without compiling LilyPond. But maybe
> there is a workaround.

I'll be happy to do the compiling of the documentation you write.  You can
just email me the .itely file as well as the snippets.

> Please let me know where to start off.

Start by reading the Contributors' Guide section 3, Documentation work:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor/Documentation-work

This give you all the rules needed for documentation.  It suggests that for
larger contributions (like you are going to make) you should send git
patches.  If you *know how to use* git, or if you *want to learn to use*
git, then go ahead and do that.  If you do not want to get involved in git
yet, just send me the whole file.

The file you want to work with is fretted-strings.itely, which you can get
from

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=blob_plain;f=Documentat
ion/notation/fretted-strings.itely;hb=HEAD

The sample files that you can use to see all of the features that have been
added are in the regression tests, and can be found at

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=tree;f=input/regression
;h=33a04eb62354ef92ffc458968b953ff8a4febd7a;hb=HEAD

Look for files whose names start with "tablature".

Following the examples of other sections in fretted-strings.itely, please
add sections on how to use all of the features that Marc added.  And please
try to add index terms, as suggested in the Contributors' guide.

Also, the snippet

Documentation/snippets/modern-tab-text-clef.ly should be copied to

Documentation/snippets/new/modern-tab-text-clef.ly

and the content of the snippet should be changed to

\markup {This snippet is obsolete as of version 2.13.4}

This will ensure that when the next stable version of LilyPond is released,
that snippet will go away.

If you don't have git, then I'll handle the copying, but I'd still
appreciate it if you'd create the new version of the snippet.

Thanks for your willingness to do this.

Please let me know if you need more help or guidance.

Thanks,

Carl