Re: [frogs] Building problems with latest git after git clone

On 2010-04-02, Ian Hulin wrote:

> Thanks Patrick, it wasn't quite that but I had a corrupted
> guile-config in /home/ian/bin/guile.  Manually copying the version
> from the guile V1.8.7 kit directory sorted it.

Great!

> Is there a safe way to do a parallel install of guile V1.9.x to test
> what compatibility's been broken without screwing up Lilypond
> development or is it only safe to use a virtual machine?

One possibility:

You could set up a local clone of the git repository you are using with
Guile 1.8, and use this local clone for testing with Guile 1.9.

It goes without saying that Guile 1.9.x will have to be installed in a
separate location (compared to Guile 1.8.x), and the ./configure
script will have to pick up Guile 1.9.x instead of Guile 1.8.x.  There
are many ways to accomplish this, and I don't really have a
recommended method.

My main repo is in ~/git/lilypond, so the following commands can be
used to set up a new local clone in ~/git/lily-guile-19 :

  cd ~/git/
  git clone --local lilypond lily-guile-19
  cd lily-guile-19/
  ./configure

Hope this helps!  I'm thinking of setting up parallel installations
for testing purposes too, so I'll let you know if I have any better
ideas.

-Patrick