Re: [frogs] Re: Numeric note heads for singers

List"<frogs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subj: Re: [frogs] Re: Numeric note heads for singers
>
>2010/1/7 Carl Sorensen <c_sorensen@xxxxxxx>:
>
>> Then, at line 106, the scale degree that is used to look up
>> shape notes is calculated as delta.
>>
>> My thought was that we could then do
>>
>> note->set_property ("scale-degree"", scm_from_int (delta));
>>
>> Then, when it's time to do the easyShapeNoteHead, we can get the
scale
>> degree of the note-head by checking its scale-degree property.
>>
>> Why is this a bad approach?
>
>The delta can't be greater than seven unless you rewrite it just for
>easy heads, so it's no more useful than setting 'note-names to a
basic
>vector.
>
>If you look at the mock-up on David Olson's website
>(http://www.hosorembo.com/Lily/Lilindex.html), the starting pitch is
>F sharp above middle C.  At one point the melody reaches the F sharp
>an octave above, which is labelled `8'.  Therefore unless the user
can
>specify the start pitch in advance, there's no way for LilyPond to
>decide which pitch represents the origin.
>
>Regards,
>Neil

Neil -

Thanks for bringing this up - I think there may be a bit of confusion
over the purpose of the original request. My understanding was that the
numbers should represent the scale degree, which would therefore be
between 1 and 7, regardless of the octave. While I take your point that
David's example does go up to eight, I didn't interpret the request in
this way as some melodies might then want to go down to a 0 or -1 and
this wouldn't make life very easy for singers.

Setting the note-names vector manually worked for me, but it requires
an additional override each time there is a change of tonic. I thought
the purpose of this issue was to avoid the need for this?

Does this make sense?

David.

2009: A year in review - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/2009