Re: [frogs] Make, make test and make doc

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 04:09:38PM -0000, Trevor Daniels wrote:
> For example, make [default] has to be used frequently during code
> development just to check for C++ compile and linkage errors. Granted
> this takes only a few minutes to run, but it is still annoying to see it
> visiting all the Documentation directories to check no snippet has been
> changed when I know none of them has been touched.

Make generates info files.  This is sufficiently useful for
catching any texinfo mistakes, so I doubt this will change.  That
said, I'm willing to re-evaluate this if and when we start
changing to waf.

> The most time-consuming is make doc after make doc-clean.  To check
> whether your mods have changed anything all we really need to do is make
> sure all the snippets compile without error and the Internals Reference
> builds correctly.

That's not required.  If the regtests compile and look good, then
(as a programmer) you're fine.  You've done your due dilligence.

I check builds from scratch on a fairly regular basis; if
something breaks, I'll let people know.  There's no way to guard
against every unexpected occurrence.

Cheers,
- Graham