Re: [frogs] Make, make test and make doc

On 12/14/09 9:21 AM, "Graham Percival" <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 04:09:38PM -0000, Trevor Daniels wrote:
>> For example, make [default] has to be used frequently during code
>> development just to check for C++ compile and linkage errors. Granted
>> this takes only a few minutes to run, but it is still annoying to see it
>> visiting all the Documentation directories to check no snippet has been
>> changed when I know none of them has been touched.
>
> Make generates info files.  This is sufficiently useful for
> catching any texinfo mistakes, so I doubt this will change.  That
> said, I'm willing to re-evaluate this if and when we start
> changing to waf.
>
>> The most time-consuming is make doc after make doc-clean.  To check
>> whether your mods have changed anything all we really need to do is make
>> sure all the snippets compile without error and the Internals Reference
>> builds correctly.
>
> That's not required.  If the regtests compile and look good, then
> (as a programmer) you're fine.  You've done your due dilligence.

Just to clarify, this means make & make check.

When I'm compiling, I rum make, and once we get into the info documentation
I hit Ctrl-C to kill the make job.  Once I'm satisfied things are right,
I'll allow make to run to completion to make sure things run OK.

It's important to run make check, not just the particular regression tests
on which you're working, because your fix can break something else (like I
did last week when working on script-columns).

HTH,

Carl