[frogs] Re: Add option to indicate frets by letters in tablature(issue164063)

Carl Sorensen wrote Monday, December 07, 2009 7:17 PM

On 12/7/09 11:11 AM, "Trevor Daniels" <t.daniels@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Carl Sorensen wrote Monday, December 07, 2009 2:18 PM

I don't think there's anything special to do in terms of mixing
strings or
markups in a property.  The property is just a list.

Actually, as I read the code, you don't need to do anything,
because
make-vcenter-markup just does interpret-markup on its argument
(see
scm/define-markup-commands.scm and search for vcenter to see how
this
works). So interpret-markup will operate on the argument (either
a string
or a markup) and create a stencil.

The thing that bugging me is how do I code the fretLabels property?
I've tried every way I can think of to enter markup so
make-vcenter-markup
is happy to receive it, but they all fail in one way or another.

I think I must be missing something obvious.  As examples,

fretLabels = ("a" "b" "c") works fine, of course.

fretLabels = ("a" "b" "\markup { \italic c } ") fails with
  syntax error, unexpected ( (after the =)

fretLabels = ("a" "b" \markup { \italic c } ) fails with
  invalid markup in position 1. expect markup found \markup

You need to use a Scheme markup, not a lilypond markup.

Thanks Carl.  I had tried that earlier, and that
didn't work either.  The thing I was missing was
an eval-string function to cause the Scheme string
to be evaluated.  So, I've now got it working, but
the format is a bit convoluted.  The markup has to
be in scheme brackets in a string, which means
strings inside have to be escaped, like this:

fretLabels = #'("a" "b" "(markup #:italic #:smaller \"c\")")

Unless you can suggest a better way this is what
we shall have to go with.  We can still simply
specify the required font as an override to
TabNoteHead, so maybe markup like this will be
required only in pretty exceptional circumstances.

I'll post the new patch-set tomorrow after I've
checked it out more carefully.

Trevor