[frogs] Re: Discourse on the Consumption of Dog Food

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 07:03:19PM +0100, Maximilian Albert wrote:
> Just a few random nitpicks so far (I haven't read the whole thing, though):

Ok.  Chapter 7 is mostly Carl's domain, but I'll fix most of these
issues.

> - The last word in 7.3 must read "ineffective" instead of "inefective".
> - In the third item in 7.4.11 it should be "E.g." instead of "Eg"
> after the first sentence.

Done, although as a general rule I wouldn't fuss about things like
E.g. vs. Eg in the CG.  (rhyme not intentional)

> - In the fourth item in 7.4.11, is the call to message() really
> correct? Shouldn't 'Calculating line breaks...' also be surrounded by
> quotation marks?

Done, although I'm wondering about this now.  For example,

gperciva@nagi:~/svn/lilypond/lily$ grep Calculating *
minimal-page-breaking.cc:  message (_ ("Calculating line
breaks..."));
minimal-page-breaking.cc:  message (_ ("Calculating page
breaks..."));
page-turn-page-breaking.cc:  message (_f ("Calculating page and
line breaks (%d possible page breaks)...",
paper-score.cc:  message (_ ("Calculating line breaks...") + " ");

Anybody know what the difference is between
  message(_
and
  message(_f
?

> - In the second item on p. 25 in 7.4.11 two closing parentheses are
> missing after "warning (out of tune:"

They're there, but on the next line.  Perhaps there's a bad page
break?

Oh, all those @verbatims should have the initial whitespace
removed.  I'll get around to that sometime; it's not a priority.

> - Just as a thought, since you mention grep in section 7.3.2 you might
> just as well add a comment that -i can be helpful if you're unsure
> about the capitalization of function names.

ok.

> And a bit less nitpicky: In 7.5.4 it should be mentioned where
> .gdbinit files need to be placed in order to make them work.

Dunno about this.  I'll let Carl answer/fix it.

Cheers,
- Graham