Re: [EGD-discu] Apostrophe in French

Whaou ! Ça mériterait une mise à jour du wiki toutes ces références 😁

NémOlivier

Le dim. 10 juin 2018 à 22:55, Archange <archange@xxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

Hi Hugh,

Thing is, there is no good and comprehensive reference. They are numerous books about the subject,
that all have contradictions with each others (and as far as I know —I only own the first one—, neither of them is referencing Unicode, at least not as you want —mostly because they all predate Unicode), amongst which:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexique_des_règles_typographiques_en_usage_à_l'Imprimerie_nationale, which is the official reference for the official (as in state-issued) french printing ;

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_typographique_(livre), which is edited by the association of french printers ;

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guide_du_typographe, which is the swiss equivalent of this one ;

– and I seem to remember there is also a québécois (canadian french) one, because basically each major french speaking country has its own version.

Which might makes you wonder where is the Belgian one, right? Well, a Belgian writer and typographer tried to make a synthesis of these works, you can find it there : http://www.orthotypographie.fr/pdf/orthotypographie-a-f.pdf and http://www.orthotypographie.fr/pdf/orthotypographie-g-z.pdf.

Another interesting and more up-do-date reference is http://jacques-andre.fr/faqtypo/lessons.pdf.

And finally, this is very often a matter of debate, and actually they have been several happening on this very mailing list. Like which dash should we use for what.

BTW, you reference is interesting but I have to disagree. The Unicode standard precisely says that U+2019 should be used for contractions and give “We’ve” as example, and also that the issue described is an implementation problem, because “The semantics of U+2019 are therefore context dependent. For example, if surrounded by letters or digits on both sides, it behaves as an in-text punctuation character and does not separate words or lines.”.

But maybe now you can see than even things that might look obvious to everyone a minimum involved, are in fact not. ;)

Regards,
Bruno