Re: [chrony-users] Chrony and systemd-timesyncd

On Tue, Jul 16, 2024 at 03:42:05PM +0200, Jan Claußen wrote:
> So I found online that an rtcfile directive is needed for the rtcdata command to work. I am still getting the above error message now. Makes me wonder if RTC syncing ever worked with the rtcsync directive present. There was never really a log about chrony syncing to the RTC. I have now tried to manually set the RTC to a wrong value and have waited more than 11 minutes. The RTC is still not getting set.

Are you trying that with rtcsync or rtcdrift?

With rtcsync there are no log messages from chronyd. It's the kernel's
job to sync the RTC. With rtcdrift you will need to add also
rtcautotrim to the config or periodically call chronyc trimrtc.

https://chrony-project.org/faq.html#_what_is_the_real_time_clock_rtc