Re: [chrony-users] Chrony and systemd-timesyncd

Thank you for your input! It helped me understand chrony much better. I could meanwhile also resolve the issues with some packages not building. Turns out those were Yocto-related issues.

Out of curiosity, which services have a hard dependency on timesyncd?
Remember that you can override any system provided units by placing
your replacements in /etc/systemd..
None really has a dependency on it. There was just an issue with the workspaces cleanup after I removed it.

I will probably run chrony on both of my processors now as it is more configurable. Currently playing around with chronyc a bit and realized that the rtcdata command tells me

513 RTC driver not running

I ran the command as root, so no idea what is missing. Here is my config so far
server time1.google.com iburst
server time2.google.com iburst
server time3.google.com iburst
server time4.google.com iburst

makestep 1.0 3
driftfile /var/lib/chrony/drift
rtcsync
allow 192.168.93/24
local stratum 10
Can you spot any errors or something that would need improvement?

Thanks

On Juli 15 2024, at 9:03 am, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 12, 2024 at 01:32:21PM +0200, Jan Claußen wrote:
> So to not make me suffer more than necessary figuring out how to make all these other services happy, I would like to ise chrony only as an NTP server for some other client devices, which are not directly connected to the internet. This would require me to run timesyncd and chronyd at the same time. So I would have some questions:
> Is it problematic to run chrony alongside timesyncd, even when only used as a server?

Not a problem if chronyd is configured to not touch the system clock,
only serve time from it. That would mean no sources specified in the
config, or use the -x option.

But I think you would need to remove the conflict between the two
services from their systemd unit files and in that case you might just
as well disable timesyncd and run chronyd as a client.

Generally, it's better to avoid timesyncd:
https://chrony-project.org/faq.html#_should_i_prefer_chrony_over_timesyncd_if_i_do_not_need_to_run_a_server